Happy Tuesday, friends! I hope you have a productive week in store for you!
The other morning I was at my usual Starbucks stop, and after the barista handed me my coffee-black-like-my-soul-with-a-few-ice-cubes-for-chugging-temperature order, I took my first sip and had THAT moment. I noticed that this is one of my most favorite parts of my day, that first sip of coffee. It’s sink back and sigh good. It’s the moment when the world stops good.
So of course I Instagrammed it.
And I noticed how there are some dependable moments in life where time just seems to stop as we take in the happy that is in front of us. I started mentally logging some of these instances so I could start anticipating them:
- The first sip of my coffee in the morning
- Looking up in the late fall sky in the evening to see a gorgeous sunset that’s all golden with those pink and purple clouds
- Maxing out on a lift I haven’t worked on in weeks
- That part in my morning routine when my 3-year-old daughter just rolls out of bed and needs me to hold her for a few minutes until she’s fully awake and ready to put her day under siege
- When my favorite song comes on my playlist and no one’s around so I can jam and sing loudly and poorly to it
- When I’m on a run and it’s been a while and my body is fully warmed up and ready to go, and I feel like I’m flying
- Watching my kids giggle and wrestle with each other like little bear cubs on my bed, while I toss pillows and blankets on them
- Curling up in bed with my tea and my book at the end of the day
I’m starting to call these my “Moments of Happy.” They don’t all happen every day, but I try to plan on having at least a couple Moments of Happy in my everyday routine. And if I don’t have one, I start figuring out how to cultivate it. Sometimes it’s the anticipation of a good Moment of Happy that encourages me to pull out of bed in the morning. Or sometimes that Moment of Happy is just lounging in bed a few more minutes, with the knowledge that on this particular morning I don’t have any urgent tasks that I need to jump on yet!
What kind of Moments of Happy do you notice in your day?
Go make it a great day!